Monday, March 11, 2013

Teach People Not Lessons


Letter to Dad

[Steve asked if Michael has gotten to know anyone in his area (members or non-members).] 
We don't go to certain members more than others really. I get to know some  more than others just because we interact with them more. The High Priest Group Leader just got called to be in the mission presidency a month and a half ago, President Paulson, so we do a lot with him. We drag him to a bunch of lessons with us and go do service with him and stuff like that. There was also a guy that just got home from his mission to Argentina last week, and really misses it so we take him to as many lessons as we can. I think he likes it. Its funny cuz he struggles trying to remember the English words for everything, I am glad that won't be an issue for me. 

Doesn't Brian go into the MTC this Wednesday? [Brian is Michael's roommate from BYU.]  If you see him, tell him I said good luck and caution him against the MTC food and that under NO circumstances should he drink the orange juice.

We spend most of our time visiting less actives and other possible people that the ward gives us, and also OYM-ing (Open your mouth) to people on the street as we go by. We have gone tracting a lot too, but haven't had any success. The white handbook now says that missionaries are not to gather in large groups in public places, so we usually stay away from groups of more than 4-6, but that's just for shopping and stuff. Our areas don't overlap at all so we don't see other elders other than on P-Days.

This Saturday we had a mission conference in Roseville with the whole mission to hear from Elder Neil L. Anderson. I shook his hand!! It was pretty crazy! 

The biggest thing is Teach People, not Lessons. It just says to ask good questions and to listen intently to their answers. Its something that is hard for me too, but I am assuming it takes some getting used to. P-Days are so exhausting, I don't have time for anything...haha they are the most stressful days of the week which is kind of disheartening, but oh well.

I miss those Sunday night games, I hope that Ryan is picking up the slack. I give it a month before he is winning! [Steve had mentioned that Ryan is now learning Settlers of Catan, and that we are reinstating Sunday game night.] 

Well I have about a million things I have left to do, so I will talk to you guys later! Have a good week.

Elder Gardanier
Letter to Mom
Yea  I hear the first couple of transfers are rough, and I believe it. I can't imagine being used to this, but I guess it comes with time. [Laura asked if P-days are starting to come much faster than when he first left.] 

[Adam Ormsby in our ward enters the MTC this Wednesday heading out to Russia.  His farewell was Sunday and he mentioned the three common themes for missionaries are follow obedience with exactness, lose yourself in service, and love the people that he will teach.]
Yep sounds like Adam found the 3 hardest things to do out here! But I believe its true. Well the good news is Adam will not have to hug anybody for awhile now!

I took over the area last Thursday on exchanges, I had the phone and planned everything and took over the lessons. We set a date for April 13 with that person I challenged, but she seems hesitant so we will see how it goes. 

I did get letters from the Laurels on Saturday. I didn't get to work with the Zone leaders again yet, but I am going on exchanges with them again next week sometime.

Oh will you give Jake and Andrew a shout out for me? [ These are Michael's Gardanier cousins ages 11 and 9.]  They wanted to know what the weather is here. This week its going to 80 degrees...[He is missing the snow.]  Anyways I can't remember anything else, so I will talk to you guys later. 

Love, 
Elder Gardanier

No comments:

Post a Comment