Wednesday, October 15, 2014

10-13-14 Meet The Mormons

I am so Flippin' excited for the snow!! We went to visit some people this week up in the more mountainous part of our area, and you could see all the different shelters for the homes built over the top of them to help with the snow. The people were telling us that some years it can get up to 10 feet of snow in certain parts of our area! Now I'm not saying that's going to happen this year, but I wouldn't be disappointed if we saw a couple feet ;-)

Meet the Mormons went really well! They ended up taking a DVD to each zone in our mission, so when we watched ours it was a pretty small number of people there. I thought it was really good, but needless to say a group of missionaries really doesn't need to see a new missionary heading out saying goodbye to his family and experience all those emotions again… But we all liked it and after a few hours we were all back to normal ;-)

Ha ha I am glad it went well and that the people that came to the missionary mom lunch had a good time. I doubt anyone would have noticed the chipped plates, but I guess it's a good excuse to get new ones. [Once a month our ward has a missionary mom lunch.  This month was at our home.  It was the last available date before Michael is home!]

Some of the big changes just revolved around the clothes we are allowed to wear to service. We've been asked by our mission president not to wear shorts anymore in order to show respect for the garment.

 Elder Larson and I were able to teach very unified, which I was surprised by considering we've only been companions for a couple of weeks. We're definitely having a great time together and it feels like I'm always laughing with him. It's definitely going to be a great way to end my mission if he's my last companion. We talked a lot about successful missionaries, and inviting others to act. Nothing too crazy just the same stuff in a new way. I guess it's like General Conference, we just keep reviewing the same things until maybe one day we will start to understand it.

Ha ha I thought you would like getting another picture from our members. That was the first time I had had dinner at their home, but they are easily one of my favorite families in the ward. Hopefully we will get to go over there more and maybe they will send more pictures. [Rhonda and Monte Pratt sent a sweet picture text.  Rhonda made sure to send them home with their favorite cereal and the leftovers.  She said,"You should be so proud of your Elders.  They are awesome Elders and we love having them in our home.  Thank you for sharing your missionaries."]


This week was our zones scheduled time for interviews with the mission president. Our mission president really likes to get to know the missionaries and has a lot he wants to talk about, so usually it's very hard for him to stay in the 15 minute time slot for each missionary. There's kind of an interesting format for how he interviews us, but just keep it simple I'll let you know that the zone leaders usually go last.  As a result of our mission president going a little over with the time, not only was he two hours behind schedule when it was our turn, but he ended up just interviewing me and my companion together at the same time. At first when he mentioned this was his plan, I was a little disappointed as I always enjoy our interviews, but it turned out to be a great experience. When we walked into the room I wanted to grab a third chair to sit by the other two. As I was going to, he told me that we weren't going to use chairs, but that it would be a quick interview and we would just kneel together the whole time. Well we knelt in prayer and proceeded to talk together for about 20 minutes. I was so impressed with how real and straightforward he was with us, as he explained some of his concerns and fears and hopes for the future. At one point he was even in tears as he expressed his desires to get to know the missionaries better and so he could have a greater impact in their lives both now and in the future and how he felt that he wasn't doing that. It's so nice to feel the love from Pres. Marston and his desires to do what's right and help missionaries more than just here on their missions. While it was definitely the shortest interview I've had and while we were interviewed as a companionship it is definitely an experience I will remember for the rest of my life. I guess it's the little things like that out here that change the way I think and help me for the future.

I think I'm doing alright as far as it goes with things I need. But I will let you know if anything changes or if anything comes to mind. I just really appreciate all the time you guys take to write me an email me and of course all the prayers. Thanks for everything you guys do, and I look forward to talking you again soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment