Monday, August 26, 2013

Counting Blessings

Lindsay would do that...haha that’s hilarious. I didn't know Tasmmy was going on a mission. Where to? [The Ward tradition continues with the Youth singing the closing hymn.  Lindsay was standing in back of the Bishop, and kept playing peek-a-boo to the congregation.  It served its purpose in stopping Laura from crying through the whole song.  Tasmmy Alcazar is our neighbor who is leaving for her mission in Japan.]

The work is going good. We had this crazy experience happen this week. After District Meeting everyone wanted to have a district lunch. Well 4th ward [Elders] went with Spanish [Elders] and the Sisters have a car and they all wanted to go get food that was way too far to bike, so they said they would bring us some back. We decided that we would go out and try and visit some people while they were gone. We were able to teach 2 lessons in the 40 minutes it took. One lady we talked to was washing her car in her driveway. We talked to her for a little and found out that her brother was a member and her nephew was about to leave on a mission. She told us that she was going through some hard times, but that she knows that all this is supposed to make her stronger. Suddenly an idea came to mind so I asked her if I could share a scripture with her. I pulled out a copy of The Book of Mormon and opened up to Ether 12:27 and read it to her. She stopped and said that she really liked that. I marked it and then told her she could have it so she could read it again and also another passage about Jesus Christ. She accepted and told us she was busy, but might need some help with some service later and would give us a call. Yesterday (Sunday) we got a phone call from a guy who turned out to be her brother. He told us how she had made some post on Facebook about how great that experience was and that she wanted to read the Book of Mormon. He told us that he was going to get her a large print though because she couldn't read the regular, and then told us how she needs the gospel and told us to go back by her house in a couple days because she had showed some interest in the church. It was so cool! 

This transfer coming up soon does have me a little anxious...but mostly because I don't want to have to pack up all my stuff. Ha-ha. We don't go close enough to Tahoe to hit snow, but there is snow up in Mt. Shasta, so fingers crossed!;) That is kind of the most coveted area in the mission (they get to drive a truck). 

[This morning, Laura received a text from Elder Hayden Harris' mom.  Elder Harris, from American Fork, UT,  was in the MTC with Michael and spent 4 months in Chico with him.]
Elder Harris is awesome. He started this thing where he yelled 'Gardanier' whenever he saw me and now the ZL's do it. It is kind of funny. But he was awesome. It is amazing how much you bond with someone when you get stuck in an elevator together.;)

This week our a/c wasn't working very well, and we found that our water heater has been leaking for several months, so there is mold growing in the walls and carpet. So hopefully that gets fixed this week. It isn't very severe, but we got a call this morning and the Stake offered us some temporary housing, but I really don't want to have to move... and it isn't very severe, so the Senior missionary in charge told me it was our choice, so we are just going to stick it out (as long as it gets fixed this week). It was pretty crazy. Luckily the a/c got fixed, because that was awful. I couldn't sleep! We are really spoiled though... we eat soooo good. So I guess I can't complain. 

I finished the Book of Mormon for the first time out here!!!! Finally!! Luckily the rest of the times won't take as long.

We were at dinner this week with some members at a restaurant and there was some music in the background. I was doing my best to not focus on it, and then suddenly the song "Tiny Dancer" by Elton John came on and I about lost it laughing so hard. I just remembered Montana for some reason... it was pretty funny. [This is a joke back from Uncle Jeff wake boarding with his cousin Jimmy Gardanier.]

We have Zone Conferences this week so that will be interesting. It definitely changes the schedule a little bit. But it is up in Andersen, so we have to get a ride an hour north. That should be fun. Road trip!;)


Thank you for the letters and news. I hope everyone is having a good time back at school. Let me know if you have any advice or if I can do anything for you! I love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment