Thursday, February 7, 2013

Michael's last 24 hours at home

Tuesday, Feb. 5th

Aimee wanted one last skateboard trip to the church parking lot.




After Lindsay got home from school, Steve took Michael, Aimee, Lindsay, and Daniel to the Mount Timpanogos Temple one last time.



Then the whole family met up and ate dinner at Texas Roadhouse.  Once set apart, we headed out to Orange Leaf where Grandpa Rick met us.  At home we enjoyed family time and some visits including Grandma Rita and Michael's friends Brett Hazelton and Brian Hilton (both heading out on missions in the next 6 weeks).




Wednesday, Feb. 6th

Last complete family photo for two years taken in front of the Provo Temple.


The hug that needs to last for two years. Notice Michael's eyes happy and focused on the MTC doors.  Laura, on the other hand, is buried in his shoulder. After Laura got home, she posted this picture on Facebook with the following poem she had been saving for the past 18 years.

As we went through the MTC doors,
I said, "Heavenly Father, he is yours."
With tears burning in my eyes
We said our farewell and good-byes.
He's not off to Kindergarten, he's not our to play,
He's doing the Lord's work today.
I guess the mailbox will become our best friend
As we wait for the letters he will send.
A strange silence fell on our home,
Someone is missing and I feel alone.
No "Hey Mom," or even his voice on the phone.
His winter coat is hanging on the rack.
It will be two years until he is back.
Too much milk in the fridge, no more wash to do.
My workload is lightening, but, Son, I miss you.
Crying, I walk into his room.
Then I remember Christ's empty tomb.
My sacrifice is so small
Compared to it all.
It is hard to let go of my boy's hand,
For when he returns, he will be a man.
And as I turn and walk away,
"God bless our boy," I silently pray.
Into the bright light through the MTC doors
And once again, Father, I know he is yours.



Here is the video as he walks away, never looking back.  That was such a comforting reassurance that Michael is doing just fine.







Not shortly after we returned home, there was a knock on the door.  It was Sister Diana Wakefield with a huge Costco chocolate cake and a box of tissues.  Not long after, another knock, more chocolate, and more tissues from Sister Sandy Powell.  Laura received and text from Sister Sandy Modersitski, and more treats were retreived.  

During all of this, Steve noticed that Ryan was missing.  After a quick search of the house, Steve found him alone in the workout room.  Crying, he informed Steve that he wouldn't get to see Michael for two whole Christmases.  Laura found Steve rocking Ryan in the green recliner. Both with bloodshot eyes.

Laura then stole Ryan from Steve and snuggled in her bed.  "Ryan, I miss him so much, but there isn't any other place in the whole world that I would rather have him be.  So, as much as this hurts, I'm glad he isn't home."

Ryan looked up at Laura and replied, "Well, I want him home!"  We realized that he doesn't yet have the same benefit as we do, fully understanding the importance of leaving for 2 years.

We had chocolate cake for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment