Thursday, February 14, 2013

Feb 13, 2013 - First Email (Only Pday in the MTC)


[Parent comment: After not hearing from Michael for almost 6 days we were thrilled when we got a letter and an email on the same day]

Hi! Well I have replied to a few emails so far, and I still have 24 minutes left so I think I will take my time on this one.

First off our P-Day (in the MTC anyway) is on Wednesday. But then again, this is our only P-Day in the MTC. Also have you been getting my letters?? I'm curious to know if everything is working. I have gotten all yours, so if you could just send me a letter to let me know if or if not you have received them I would love that.

On our first day they ran us around really fast. I remember right after I got out of the car and left you guys, I didn't really have time to be sad because the gave me my tag and stuff and I just remember staring and being hypnotized by it. I was completely distracted for the first few hours. We went and met our district and waited until everyone arrived and then they sent us off to a meeting. My companion hadn't arrived yet, so I just hung around with two other elders (who turned out to be my roommates by chance). One is Elder Sampson. He is from P.G. and plays football for BYU right now. He is awesome and reminds  me a lot of Joe Cook.The other is Elder Herrador. He is from Houston and Spanish is his first language, but he speaks English very fluently. He actually said his first prayer in English here at the MTC.


We get up at 6:00 and get ready. Breakfast is at seven and is about 30 minutes. Then depending on the day there is 1-2 class blocks (about 3 hours each) and then a lot of study time. I am surprised by how much time we have that is unsupervised. The teachers aren't here nearly as much as I expected. There is lunch and gym time also at varying times during the day. Since I am not very good at basketball, I only play it a little if the other elders from our district are playing, but most of the time I run [parent note:  Laura immediately broke into tears of joy upon reading that]. I have been trying to run about 1.5 miles each day to stay/get in shape in case I have a companion later who wants to run and I want to be able to keep up. Then we usually get back to our rooms around 9:30 and get ready for bed and the next day. Quiet time starts ant 10:15 and lights out at 10:30. My favorite part of the schedule is study time. I like getting to prepare and think on my own without having to be taught by a teacher. I also like gym time because then you just have to be in the same building as your companion and I like getting some time on my own.

Our district has 12 people in it, all going to Roseville. There is another district also going to Roseville making, like we thought, about 30 of us. I don't know everything they did to reduce our time in the MTC, but it feels like they don't know exactly whats going on yet either as we are their first 2 week group.

I actually saw Katelyn Smith [She used to be in our ward.  Her dad was his Scoutmaster] today and she said hi and talked to me for a minute. I have sat next to Kim [Kim Bennett, Michael's cousin] a few times at various meals too. I have seen a few people I know from school (Zac Saunders, [Was on the Lone Peak football team with Michael.  Upon hearing this first name Aimee immediately shouted out "no way" in a jealous tone... which made his next sentence even funnier] is Aimee jealous? as well as Micah Hanneman and Tyler Johnson).

The food will be the death of me. I am on a salad, fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese, and cereal diet. So far that seems to be helping because the first few days I was suffering.

Like I said I try and run for exercise, but my roommates are big on working out so we do a lot of pull ups, push ups, sit ups, crunches and stuff like that.

There is like a mini bookstore here, but everything is overpriced so I try to avoid it. Although I am finding a lot of things I forgot (pens, sticky notes, etc...)

I don't think I need you to send anything, but Ill keep you posted. I did get a check, but you need to know your account number to deposit it and I have no idea what that is. Also I don't get a chance to eat the food you send, and although I really appreciate it, I don't want it to go to waste.

I am almost out of time, but I love you all so much and hope that I can share more through written letters.  I hope that you all are doing well.  I love all the letters and pictures I have been getting. Thank everyone who I can't reply to and let them know I appreciate them. I love you!!

Love,
Elder Gardanier

P.S I miss my first name...

No comments:

Post a Comment