Tuesday, July 8, 2014

(6/30/14) Miracle Discussion

This definitely has been a crazy week for sure. We had a special meeting on Friday where we got to say goodbye to our mission president. It was a great meeting, and I loved getting to see him again. He said to me "if you see me at your homecoming talk, don't think something's wrong." He is been a wonderful influence in my life, I am going to miss him. He also said that he will be at Elder Coburn's wedding, so you will get to see him there. I asked him more about his homecoming information and he said that the homecoming talk he will be giving in Sacrament meeting will be on July 13 at 1:00 PM in the Murray 12 ward. I am not sure where they meet, but I am sure you can find that on LDS.org.


We are expecting a lot of changes in the zone for transfers next week. A lot of missionaries have been here for a long time, so there could potentially be a lot of new missionaries in the zone next week. It will be interesting, and none of us really know what to expect. 

We had a huge miracle this past week in regards to the less active family I talked about last week. We went by while we were on exchanges, and I was with another missionary. When we showed up at their house for the lesson, there were two other people there that we didn't recognize. As we got to know them turns out that they are a newlywed couple that is struggling financially and recently moved in with this less active family. They started asking questions about what we do as missionaries, and they were shocked to hear that we don't get to see our families for two years. After that we managed to lead the discussion towards a more spiritual side of missionary work. Before we knew it we were teaching all 10 of the people in the house the restoration. It was a very spiritual lesson and I learned a lot from the other missionary I was with. One thing I thought was interesting that I noticed towards the end of the lesson was the behavior of children in the home. For the first half of the lesson the kids were running around playing and running in and out of the house. But I noticed that by the end of the lesson, as we testified of Joseph Smith and the book of Mormon, that everyone had settled down and was listening attentively. There were about five kids seated around my feet by the end of the less completely quiet, and listening to everything we said. A wonderful spirit could be felt at the end of the lesson. What a miracle! The two new people who were at the home agreed to meet with us and talk more. The husband told us that he had a lot of negative experiences early in his life and has been mad at God for a long time. He said that because of these experiences he has not set foot in a church building 11 years and has not held a Bible for nine years, but he gratefully accepted a copy of the Book of Mormon and told us the based upon what he had felt we probably will see him at church. His wife told us during the lesson, with tears in her eyes, that she was sure this was no coincidence. She felt like they had been guided to us by the hand of God. It was unbelievable! We will be seeing them again this week, so hopefully I will have more exciting news next week.

I love the pictures you sent from New York City. That looks like an exciting trip! I especially love how you took pictures of the missionaries and then send them to their parents. I am sure that made their week! Thank you for doing that. It sounds like the kids did really well while you guys were gone also. That is awesome that they had such a good time, and were able to help each other.


Wow! That is so amazing Lindsay did so well on the ACT! I hope she is excited about that, that's a great accomplishment. She will have no problem getting into any college she wants now!

As far as the Fourth of July goes, we will be doing the same old same old. We do have a meeting, and that will be the first day we get to meet our mission president. It will be interesting… I can't believe it's the Fourth of July already, it feels like just yesterday that it was the Fourth of July last year… I still remember exactly what we did. It's crazy how fast time goes by.

Thank you for all you do for me. It sure makes it a lot easier, especially with this whole coming back for school thing. Hopefully you all have a great week, and a safe Fourth of July. Let me know if I can do anything for you, and I will talk to you all again soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment