Monday, April 21, 2014

4-14-14 Racing

We went to the funeral for our investigator yesterday. It was at a golf course, which took me back to a couple of summers ago, and there were over 1,000 people there! He was kind of a big deal around here...hopefully he is hearing the gospel up there. He was a progressing investigator. So we just hope and pray. 


Yesterday at the funeral, I saw this....I don't know if you can tell what it is, but it is one of the EXACT utility carts I drove at Cedar Hills! Haha I am not admitting to anything, but I may have almost got up and drove it off.  It was awesome!

Yes, the JW was there while we were eating the crepes. I still can't eat brown sugar...haha. But we are recovering.

On the note of things I would like in the Easter package, I would love some more athletic socks! Somehow I seem to wear through those pretty fast. 

Elder Geisler used to tease me a little too because I didn't speed or do anything super crazy in the car (until in snowed...;). It’s the small and simple things that lead to big stuff. That is one thing I have learned as a ZL. We deal with all of these missionaries, with varying degrees of obedience, and I realize that it is a slippery slope. You start breaking one rule and before you know it you are rationalizing breaking more. Before you know it you are a different person; and not for the better! I think it is also good to remember that as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, we are commanded to obey, honor, and sustain the law....sooo who is being blessed in the end?

I read Aimee's talk last night while we were waiting for transfer calls to come in. That is a great talk, and I loved all the references to Hyrum Smith! She is an excellent writer, and I am sure she did an amazing job delivering it. 

AHHH I would LOVE to go to the beach and just relax...haha I am glad you all had fun! Soon enough and it will happen though. 

Oh, yes, btw I have talked with Brother and Sister Rose here in the ward. They told us that they had relatives in Alpine. That’s cool, it is a small world. Anything I should talk with them about??

I know, these last 6 weeks flew by! I cannot believe it! The weird thing is all of the sisters that came out with me only have 3 transfers left! AHHH It is so weird to think that I only have 7 transfers left, and even less if I come home early! So weird! It goes by so fast. 

OH!!!!! So this week the Chico 3rd ward was having a baptism for someone that Elder Coburn and I found. Anyways, he is a bigger guy and so we got a call from the AP's saying that they were looking for a bigger size jump suit. So we have one here in our stake, and we were trying to get it up to them....anyways one thing led to another and I ended up talking with Brother Felix on the phone! Haha I miss the good times back there in Chico! I will have to get back there one day. I guess Elder Benedict went back for the baptism, and I kind of felt bad that I didn't...oh well. One day we will get back there!


This week was sort of interesting. We had lunch with a member here who works for the air force on Beale AFB. He is actually a pilot out there. So he was showing us some of his stuff and I got really excited as we talked. He then explained his work schedule, his career thus far with the air force, his goal of becoming a commercial pilot, and some other things. As we talked I realized that the air force isn't for me. He says he loves what he does, but his deployment schedule is pretty rough, and he works crazy hours. He also says it is a bummer because even if you get a pilot's seat in the air force, you don't get to pick your plane or even your path. They just assign you out to where they need you. He also said (and this was sort of the final nail in the coffin) that starting in July, there are going to be some changes made in the regulations for commercial pilots. He explained that it is going to be almost impossible for anyone other than air force pilots to get jobs as commercial pilots due to the future inability to get hours as a civilian. He said there was something about that you used to be able to get hours toward your commercial flying (or something) certificate by flying under a captain that had his, but starting in July you cannot do that anymore. Basically it sounds like there are going to be a lot of hoops to jump through to do it. So this week I kind of realized that I don't think being a pilot is the field I will be pursuing. I don't want to have to deal with all the hoops and very high price of doing it as a civilian, and the air force is not for me (unless there is a draft or something). It is sort of bittersweet, but I think by putting my efforts toward other pursuits I will be able to achieve those things that matter most to me (being at home with my family, having steady hours, etc). Anyways I would love to hear your thoughts. Also, me and my companion would be interested in hearing more about the computer field, future jobs, recommended majors, and things like that, If you have time! I also have thought a lot about maybe working for the military or a private contractor designing drones and things like that through a mechanical engineering degree or an aerospace engineering degree. I will keep thinking on this stuff though! Thanks for everything!

Check out this! We were hauling on the track....sort of.. Haha it was a party! We are trying to baptize the guy that builds these, and we will be over there again soon working on cars again.  The second steering wheel is there just so the passenger has something to hold on to. It turns, but isn't connected to anything. 




Thanks for the emails and updates! It sounds like you are all having fun! Let me know how life is going, and call the mission president if things get serious! Thanks for everything!


No comments:

Post a Comment