Sunday, May 26, 2013

5-20-13 Fences and Commandments (Snail Mail letter)


Dear Family,

We just finished practicing to sing “We’ll Bring the World His Truth” which we will be singing at Zone Conference on Wednesday. (Which is yesterday when you get this.)  Hopefully all goes well.

Thank you again so much for all the letters and packages.  I really do love getting news from you guys!  I couldn't do this without your support!  Is there anything you need?  I will send pictures next week so you can see some stuff we are doing.  Hopefully we can find some new investigators soon!

Last night we had an interesting experience.  We were riding by this apartment complex and a guy called to us.  We stopped and he was on the other side of a fence with some buddies.  We have talked with him before, so I think he was joking, but he told us to come hang out with him and to have a beer and stuff.  We told him no and he kept pushing, but we kept saying no.  Then he said, “Come over here and we can talk about God.”  We thought and then said that we can do that right here.  We ended up talking with him and giving him a Book of Mormon, but I thought it was a good example of the Gospel.  We were on the righteous side and he was on the wicked.  The fence was the commandments.  As we kept them, we were protected and safe.  We were able to talk to him through the fence, but never had to cross it.  I think it was a good lesson about how the commandments keep us safe.

We get weird questions, but most people just ask to try and get in an argument.  Very rarely do people actually want to know the answers.  One lady chewed us out saying we don’t make our own decisions, that we have to go on missions, and she swore at us a bunch… A lot of people have no idea about us.  One guy we talked to yelled at us and said, “I don’t want anything to do with you or Mitt Romney.  He stole millions of dollars!”  Then he walked inside and slammed the door.  It was kind of funny!  But the sad thing is most people don’t want to talk to us.

My favorite topic is probably the Atonement or The Plan of Salvation.  A quote in Preach My Gospel says, “As your understanding of the Atonement increases, so does your desire to share the Gospel.”  And the Plan of Salvation just is so happy!  People like hearing about being together forever;)

Anyways, I have to go!  Thank you tons!  I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment