Monday, December 15, 2014

12-1-14 Stuffed Turkey

I am glad to hear you made it through Thanksgiving without me there without too much trouble. I bet it is a lot harder for you guys at home when the difference is so noticeable. I guess I have it lucky out here where it is easier to almost forget the holidays altogether and just focus on the work. I'm glad to hear you guys had a good time though. 


My Thanksgiving was full of food, and I guess that's for the best and for the worst. We had four different dinner appointments, and I ate way too much. We had a fifth and sixth appointment lined up, but one of them fell through and the other one we didn't have time to get to. The unexpected part was that for the next three days after Thanksgiving any time we were at someone's home they offered us the leftovers… And more leftovers… And more leftovers… But I can't complain too much because the food was really good :-) We will find out this week at our mission leader Council about how Christmas and New Year's will be run, but I anticipate that it will be quite similar. Once again I realized how awkward holidays are for missionaries. While it was not a proselyting day, it is hard not to feel like you should be doing something else. Elder Larson and I did our best to talk to as many people as we could, but often times because of the large numbers of people at these holiday dinners, we find ourselves talking to one another and sitting there silently sometimes, as we all sort of feel like we have something more productive we should be doing. As much as I love the holidays there really isn't a whole lot to enjoy about them as a missionary.… Then again maybe it's just me and with time running so low I feel weird just sitting around.

I'm glad to hear you didn't miss out on any black Friday shopping ;-) We got some black Friday ads in the mail this past week and we were pretty excited because that's the most mail you seem a long time ;-) It was sort of weird for me to see all these ads for Black Friday and the sale starting on Thanksgiving… And almost feels like were starting to lose the Thanksgiving holiday. I guess businesses just pander to the demand of the customers so what can you do. I also thought it was weird to see so many movies video games and other electronic stuff that I've never even heard of before on sale for such low prices as they are some of the previous models. On a similar note this week one of the members of the YSA branch was showing us his new Microsoft surface three pro…? (Is that the same one that dad has?), and he was running through all the features. I couldn't believe how out of the loop I felt all these things but I also was shocked to hear that he paid for this tablet, plus a keyboard, plus the insurance for it over $1400. He was trying to sell me on it for college, but part of me can't justify paying more money for a tablet then I would for a nice computer. Maybe the world has changed a lot while I've been out of the loop, so I guess Dad will have to get me back caught up on things when I get home. Anyways I guess that's just a long way to say but I probably am going to be a deer in the headlights when I get home.

That's interesting you mention Dad's project. There's a guy in our ward here that works for HP and when he found out that dad works for Xerox and I tried to explain what little I knew about what exactly Dad does he had a lot of questions as he works in a similar field. I told him that I was thinking about studying computer science and he got really excited and told me that when I need an internship to look him up and also that I should "add him on linked in" …? He said something about knowing a lot of people. Anyways weird connections are everywhere. 

The work here is going great. We set another baptismal date this week, this time with a YSA investigator. She has come to church several times and has hit it off with the members and the branch. I'll tell you what, the YSA members are amazing at fellow shipping people, better than any Ward I have served in. We are excited because her date is the 13th of December and she is excited for it as well. We also committed another person in the YSA to baptism, but no date yard. The next few months will be pretty awesome for the YSA branch. Other than that we are just enjoying the rain and living up the cooler weather. We will keep praying for snow in the foothills so Elder Larson and I can go do some 'tracting' up there ;) we don't have four wheel drive for nothing! 

Thanks for keeping me in the loop. Let me know how this week goes. I will talk to you again soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment