As
far as being trunky goes, I don't know why it hasn't affected me as much. I
think it's still because of Elder Coburn's example that I'm trying to stay
focused. I guess my whole mission I've seen missionaries slow down and get
"Trunky" and I made the decision a long time ago that I don't want
that to be me. I'm definitely not perfect, but it's been a big goal of mine.
Let me know if I'm starting to sound trunky it all so I can change!
That's so
awesome that everyone is getting home so close together. Trek was definitely
fun, and I think about it often. Great memories.
I
saw Tyler's post on Facebook! That is so exciting! I can't believe he leaves
five days after I get home; that works out just perfectly. :-) [Michael's cousin Tyler has been called to the Louisville Kentucky Mission. He reports to the MTC on January 7th.]
I
saw Tiffany put that on Facebook as well. I can't believe he lasted so long. I
guess it's just the way life works, but it does seem like he's been there
forever. I didn't know Sinjin was getting so bad… Don't hold off on my account
if it is necessary. I think either way is fine for me. If he makes it, then he
makes it. Otherwise I will have great memories of him when he was healthy and
full of energy. Your call, and of course pray about it.
I
agree, it is really cool that the church does so much with advertising and
marketing. It's definitely fun to be a part of and I'm interested to see how
this Christmas initiative goes. As far as Met The Mormons, I think it probably
had bigger success in more urban areas. Because most of our mission is so rural
and not very densely populated, I don't think it had as big of an impact as it
would've had in, say, New York or LA or other large cities.
There
definitely is a lot of work to be done here. I think that is why the time is
going by so quickly. I cannot believe November is almost over! The members here
are great and we do have a dinner appointment for Thanksgiving with a great
family. The interesting part will be that our mission president has asked us
only to spend one hour in each member’s home… So we're trying to line up more
places to be during the day. It's weird to try and plan for since we aren't
supposed to be proselyting, but we are supposed to be in People's homes. I
guess we will see how it goes. While sharing the gospel and the great spirit of
the seasons is fine as a missionary, the holidays themselves are usually pretty
anti-climactic as I personally struggle to feel productive during those times.
I guess I just like the structured routine of a normal day.
We
found that tow strap in our garage so we had just happened to put it in the car
a few days prior. Yeah it was pretty fun to get to pull them out, unfortunately
it made a lot of other missionaries call and ask the mission office for trucks
and they got sort of short tempered about that.
I am glad to hear you got the
memory card as well. I was getting really worried about it since there were a
lot of pictures on there. The house on the cliff is a stunning view. It's a
part member family and they have had us over a couple times. The husband is the
nonmember, but he comes to church regularly and is very comfortable around
members. Some people just aren't ready to join the church, even though they're
willing to live the gospel. I think it's kind of funny because they are already
living the Commandments; they just are missing out on a lot of the blessings.
There are a couple families like that here, but we have developed some great
relationships with them so hopefully that can help change things.
I am
jealous to hear about all the snow! We got quite a bit of rain this past week
which was nice, but still no snow up in the foothills. We keep asking the
members when it will come and how long we have to wait and they think we're
crazy. One of these days when it finally gets cold enough and we get a nice
good rain down here there will be some snow up in the foothills and that's
right where Elder Larson and I will be. We found quite a few people to teach up
there through former investigators and less active members, so there is plenty
of work to do up there while we enjoy the winter wonderland. I am just hoping
it comes before I leave.
This
past week we had zone conference here in Gridley. It ended up being a little
stressful because Elder Larson and I didn't find out about the things we needed
to set up and prepare until the night before when it was too late to do
anything that day. We got up a little early and went down there beforehand.
Everything ended up working out alright; it was just a little touch and go at
the end. Because we were hosting a zone conference, I was asked to conduct the
morning session and Elder Larson conducted the afternoon session. That was
definitely a different perspective sitting right next to the mission president
as opposed to sitting out with the other missionaries like I am accustomed to.
I liked getting to see the behind-the-scenes picture though, and I learned a
lot about our mission president. I also was asked to give my departing
testimony as this is my last "official" zone conference. I remember
sitting in my first zone conference when Elder Coburn gave his departing
testimony… It feels like just yesterday, yet it feels like forever ago. It was
definitely bittersweet, but it was nice to get to share what I have learned.
This
upcoming week should be good, and I look forward to talking to you all soon.
Oh, and by the way, I sent a package home today. It has stuff in it that I
probably don't need any more including all of my letters that you sent me the
first year my mission. You're more than welcome to open up the box and look at
what's in there; I didn't send anything too personal. There also are letters
for dad and Daniel. Thanks again for everything and I appreciate the prayers.
Talk to you all soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment