Thursday, March 20, 2014

3/10/14 Speed Learning

I am learning a lot really fast. I can't imagine what it was like for Dad going straight to AP without being a ZL. I am sure Dad learned a lot, but I guess that is a testament to how great of a missionary he was/is. 

None of us here felt anything as far as earthquakes go. I haven't heard anything from anyone in Palo Cedro, but then again I haven't talked to any of them. There are kind of a lot of rules with that, so I am working on it. [There was a 6.9 earthquake just off the coast near his old area of Redding.  Laura was in the 6.9 San Francisco earthquake in 1989 and knows how that felt.] 

My new companion is Elder Rockwell Holbrook. He is from Meridian Idaho, but his family moved to Salt Lake since he came out. He is really nice, and obedient, and a great leader. He came into the mission 3 months before me, so he goes home in November. He likes golf and basketball, and we have a lot in common. I just hope he isn't sick of me not knowing what is going on at all. He is a good leader, so that is nice. 

Thanks for the advice. I am working on being more outgoing. I sent some pictures home; the last of Palo Cedro,





 and a few from here in Olivehurst. 


One is of me entering a teaching record into the iPad that Elder Coburn wrote 2 years ago...haha that was kind of funny.

Actually, this transfer wasn't too bad. I like getting transferred because it prevents me from accumulating too much junk. I was able to get everything in my 2 suitcases and then I had two medium size postal boxes with books and desk supplies in them. Everyone kept saying that I travel too light, but I hate having a ton of stuff. I guess that's another thing I learned from Coburn. 

Well he better get on it and marry this girl already, or else I am going to be there at his wedding to give him a hard time. [Gavin Coburn came by last week, and introduced his girlfriend to us.  We all think she is beautiful, and Gavin looks very happy.]

The new area is sweet. There is definitely a lot of diversity here, and most people cringe when they hear we are in Olivehurst, but I love it. I guess this is just what I always imagined it looking like doing missionary work. Yea the new house is sweet. 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms with a living room, fireplace, bbq, and backyard. There is a landscaper, so we don't have to worry about mowing the lawn. It is nice, but I still think the apartment in Palo was bigger, minus one bathroom. I am slowly getting a little more comfortable with this, but it is a lot. I haven't liked exchanges before because for some reason I prefer to be in my area with my companion, but I guess I better learn to like them because we have to go on the most except for the AP's. 

We will be having a baptism this week for an investigator. It is hard though for it to feel like 'my' baptism since I just got here, but I am still excited for it. Well I am sorry if I seem lazy, but aside from Thursdays, we drive everywhere. We don't use as many miles as in Palo, but everything is a lot closer. 

It was tough leaving the old area, but there have been a lot of changes up there. Yea we both knew Elder Geisler's new companion, so he is set. It will be a challenge for him, but it is good. Elder Geisler is awesome, and will do great. He is covering 2 wards now, so it is by far the biggest area in the mission. 

I can't think of anything I need really...except for maybe some more long sleeve shirts, but those aren't exactly top priority. I think I am doing alright. 

That is sweet that you guys got to go skiing. I miss that so bad!! Was there a lot of snow?? I can't wait to go skiing again! Anyways!






[Once again, in a new area, Laura is hoping to find someone like Brother Felix in Chico, or Sister Paris in Palo Cedro, who took great care of Micheal as well as were great at reaching out to us at home.]  I will see if we have any members like that. Speaking of Brother Felix, we got a couple texts from an unknown number today and yesterday, and somehow I recognized it as his number. Do you still talk with him at all? If you do, let him know I got the texts, but I am not allowed to answer. And also tell him that I am disappointed that after serving in his ward for over 7 months, he still can't spell my name right;)

Well I don't have a ton of details right now, and we have a lot of stuff to do today. Sorry about that. We may be able to come back and I can send more later if I have time. Sorry! Thank you for everything and I will try to get more details later. Thank you so much for everything! 

No comments:

Post a Comment