Thursday, June 19, 2014

Doors Bring Miracles

So this past week we had 2 zone meetings, not zone conferences (just our zone was there, as opposed to multiple zones at a zone conference). Our MP did not come to zone meeting, but he is the one who teaches zone conference. Due to a lot of stuff going on this past week, including one missionary from the zone going home, we had the privilege of talking to President Weston a lot...almost every day actually. I just wish it had been under better circumstances. The zone meetings went well. We got a lot of participation from the other missionaries, and the Spirit was there, so that’s all I can ask for! 

The broken sink at the bowling alley was out of rage, and as a result we will no longer be allowed to bowl there. It is sad, but what can you do. 

On the same note as what you said about not judging others, I had an experience with that this week. The missionary who broke the sink at the bowling alley definitely left an impact in my mind Monday, but I was put in my place on Thursday. We had already asked his trainer and him to present a short focus at zone meeting before everything happened. Well at zone meeting, this missionary got up there and delivered probably the best focus on finding new investigators that I have ever heard. He spoke elegantly and simply. It sounded like a talk out of General Conference. I just sat there with my mouth open the whole time (figuratively speaking of course, my mouth really wasn't open the whole time...that would be weird). I really had to humble myself and not let someone's actions at one point define them forever. 

Below I copied part of the letter I wrote to my MP about a miracle we saw yesterday. It was awesome:

We went to visit a less active family that the ward really didn't know anything about. When we knocked on the door, the man who answered greeted us as "Elders!" He then invited us in and for the next 45 minutes told us about his past, and how he and his wife were baptized 15 years ago, and then fell into inactivity. He told us that they have gone through a lot of trials, but have recently gotten their lives back in order, and now feel ready to attend church and be active again. He was able to baptize his oldest daughter while they were active, but now he has 2 more children over the age of 8, ready to be baptized. It was a miracle for sure. We will be working with the ward to help fellowship them, but they seem so interested. Hopefully this week we will be able to set a baptismal date with the 2 children, and get the whole family, all 8 of them, to church on Sunday.

I am glad you liked the Father's day Facebook post. I had to use that picture because it was the only thing I could come up with...I don't have any pictures of just me and dad, surprisingly. I realized how in many pictures Dad is the one behind the camera...He is so humble. 

This week we got a call from one of the missionaries in the zone. He told us that his mom was going in for a major surgery this past Thursday, and there was only a 50 percent chance she would live. He told us he was trying to keep quiet about it, but asked us if we would be willing to fast with him and his companion the day beforehand. It was a humbling experience to see such an amazing missionary, who I really look up to, who only has 8 weeks left on his mission, be so strong about it. The good news is he called us and told us that the surgery went well and his mom is recovering. Like I said before, there are some amazing people out here on missions. I am so blessed that you are all doing well. 

I am sure Aimee will have some exciting experiences to share! Yesterday I started watching this series found in the gospel library app called "The Joseph Smith Papers". It is an interesting series about the early church. I am only a couple of episodes into it, but I like what I have learned. I am not sure what all Aimee learned on her trip, but I wonder if she saw some of the sites in this series, and how accurate it is. If you get a chance, you should check it out. I know it is sort of slow, but as missionaries, it’s all we have!

Hahahahahaha well thank you for thinking of me with the hair thing. I wouldn't mind trying it I guess. I usually just joke with people about how bald I am. I hope it works, but I think I am almost to the point where I just have to accept the fact that my hair genetics aren't that great, and just wear a hat until the resurrection. ;)

The week with the mini missionary was great. He will be a fantastic missionary, and like I emailed to Dad already, we were connected in a number of ways. [We received a phone call from our old Home Teacher, and his grandson, Jeremy Whitmore, served his mini mission with Elder Gardanier!]  I hope I will get to see him again. While he was with us, his brother got in a car accident, and rolled his car. His brother was okay, but I remember thinking that Jeremy was already experiencing some of the crazy stuff that happens when you are away on a mission, and he was only with us for a few days. I am just glad I don't have a car for someone to roll while I am gone!;) 




That sounds like a cool movie. [Edge of Tomorrow.]  I am glad you are keeping a list, because I have lost track of all that stuff. Just a few hours ago we were walking through Walmart buying groceries, and there was a display for some Liam Neeson movie now out on DVD. [Non-stop]  As I walked by I couldn't help but thinking "Oh, that’s nice, another movie on DVD that I have never heard of before"...haha it is sort of weird, but surprisingly, I don't mind all that much right now....when I get home I am sure it will be a different story though!

Thanks for the letters and all you guys do for me. I hope that I can stay humble, because I definitely don't naturally want to be. I appreciate all the prayers! Have a great week!





These missionaries are all from his MTC District now all serving leadership positions in the Mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment